Inline Flow Straightening Spools
Smith Pump Company & City of Dallas, Texas
Smith Pump Company & the City of Dallas, Texas had experienced severe pump intake issues including vibration & noise.
Flow Conditioning Spools with Grid
- Spool: custom rolled to 31.25 inches diameter
- Spool: minimum Length: 19 inches with 18-inch grid length
- Flanges: 150-lb bolt pattern flat face – welded (NOT 150lb. rated)
- Pipe material: 316L A778 welded stainless steel pipe, Schedule 10S
- Flange material: 316L stainless steel
Inlet Flow Conditioning Spool
1. Pump manufacturer to provide a flow conditioner for each pump consisting of a flanged spool piece with internal flow conditioning grid as indicated and specified for all double suction split case pumps with suctions 8 inch [200 mm] and larger.
a. Provide a certified drawing including dimensions, weight, welding requirements, material designations, material thicknesses and flange details for review with pump submittal.
2. Provide flow conditioning grid design approved by a Nationally recognized Hydraulics Testing Laboratory.
a. For sizes larger than 18 inch (450 mm) provide a design based on physical hydraulic modeling by a Nationally Recognized Hydraulics Laboratory
3. Design Criteria:
a. Spool, Minimum Length: 19 inches
- Inside Diameter: 31.625 inches (+/- 0.063) custom rolled
- Pipe wall thickness: 5/16 inch (0.3125” +/- 12.5% (0.274 min))
- Flanged Ends: 30 inches diameter x 1 inch thick
- Drilled for Flat Faced ANSI 150-lb bolt pattern
- Type: Fully welded to pipe
b. Grid, Minimum Length: 18 inches
- Thickness: 0.125 inch (3 mm)
- Grid Spacing: 5 inches (125 mm) nominal
a. Spool: Type 316L A778 welded stainless steel pipe, Schedule 10S
b. Flanges: 316L stainless steel
c. Grid: 316L stainless steel
5. Finish: pipe & flange
Pickled and passivated,
Completely immerse for a minimum of 15 minutes in 10% nitric acid and 3% hydrofluoric acid at 125 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by a neutralizing rinse.
6. Manufacturer: Flow Optimizers, LLC.
Smith Pump Company, Inc.
4624 Martin Luther King Freeway
Fort Worth, TX 76119
Clemson Engineering Hydraulics
120 River Heights Circle
Anderson, SC 29621